Welcome to Turkey!
Oriental hospitality, cultural sights, culinary delicacies and long sandy beaches in bays of turquoise water – that’s Turkey. Allow yourself to be drawn into the magic of this unique holiday country.
Turkey is a huge peninsula spread over two continents covering 814,578 km2. It comprises seven regions: Marmara, Ege, Black Sea, Central Anatolia, Mediterranean, East Anatolia and South Anatolia. Anatolia, the Asian part of Turkey, makes up about 96% of the country, and Eastern Thrace the remaining 4%. Most of Turkey is surrounded by water, the Aegean Sea to the west, the Mediterranean to the south and the Black Sea to the north.
Discover the contrasts of exciting Istanbul or get into history in the antique city of Ephesus, at the Göreme open-air museum and at the temple of Side. Besides culture and the impressive scenery, there are also plenty of great beaches for fun and relaxing when on holiday in Turkey. Leave your daily routine behind you and enjoy the salubrious climate.
Here are a few tips and some background information to ensure you have a great holiday in Turkey:
General information on Turkey as a holiday destination
Entry requirements/visa: Please find out about the current entry requirements before going on your holiday, for example visit the website of the Foreign Office (http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/DE/Laenderinformationen/00-SiHi/TuerkeiSicherheit.html)
Currency: Turkish Lira (YTL), 2.34 YTL = 1 euro (as at 05.03.12)
Tips on exchanging money in Turkey:
- You will get a better exchange rate when you exchange money in a bank or at an ATM than in exchange offices.
- Traveller’s cheques are cashed by banks, many hotels and businesses.
- Credit cards are accepted.
- There is no limit to the amount of Turkish Lira and foreign currency that you bring in or take out.
- It is possible to change your money back at the airport when you leave only if you present your original money exchange receipt.
- ATMs are available in larger cities and in tourist centres.
Local language: Turkish, but German is widely understood in tourist centres
Time difference: +1 hour to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.
Climate and clothing: Please note that it can be quite cool in the winter months and on an excursion to the Anatolian Highlands. Think about taking warm clothing as well as sturdy shoes for excursions. When visiting mosques and religious facilities, you should remember to dress appropriately and take off your shoes when required. Avoid short skirts/shorts and cover your upper arms. Women should wear a head cover. In addition, you should avoid times of prayer so sightseers do not disturb anyone.
Illness on holiday: It is advisable to take out travel medical insurance. In the event of treatment it is recommended to have the doctor issue a detailed bill and then submit this to the medical insurance company afterwards.
Sunday and holidays: During the Bayram period, hotels may be somewhat fuller than usual as many locals travel to the coast.
Beach and sea: As the sandy beaches are natural they sometimes slope deeply into the water making access tricky. It is recommended to wear bathing shoes to minimise the risk of injury.
Public transportation and taxis: The national bus network is very well developed; tourists often use the cheap collective taxis (dolmus) with a fixed price but no set timetable. They stop on request.
Travelling by taxi is about the same price as in Germany; almost all taxis have a meter.
Power: Typically 220 volts AC. You do not need an adapter for German plugs.
Drinking water: Officially tap water is suitable as drinking water and there is no reason not to use it for brushing your teeth etc.
Tipping: is usual and expected.
For more information, visit the website of the Turkish Tourism Office: http://www.goturkey.com/index.php?lng=de